Signs and symptoms of sinusitis may include:
- A blocked nose
- A reduced sense of smell
- A sinus headache
- Pain and swelling around your cheeks, eyes or forehead.
- Bad breath
Sinusitis is usually caused by a virus and can often persist even after symptoms have gone. In some cases, bacteria, or rarely fungus, may cause a sinus infection. Other conditions such as allergies, nasal polyps, and tooth infections can also contribute to sinus pain and symptoms.
Getting plenty of rest, drinking fluids and avoiding smoking will help with sinusitis and prevent it from getting worse.
You can also:
- Take painkillers such as paracetamol or ibuprofen
- Clean your nose with a natural salt water solution to ease congestion (Sterimar)
- Use natural decongestants such as Olbas Oil and Vicks
- Take a decongestant tablet Sinutab, Sudafed Decongestant or Sinus Pain and Pressure)
or use a decongestant nasal spray or nasal drops (Otrivine Nasal Spray).
Your pharmacy will be able to provide advice on which medications are suitable for you.