Sunburn is skin damage caused by ultraviolet light which can cause:
- Red. tender or sore skin that is warm to the touch and may be itchy
- Blistering or swelling of the skin
The skin will normally start to flake and peel after a few days and will usually heal fully after seven days.
Over exposure to the sun or sun beds.
Mild sunburn can be treated at home by:
- Cooling the skin with cold water
- Drinking fluids to prevent dehydration
- Applying a water-based emollient or petroleum jelly
- Taking painkillers such as paracetamol or ibuprofen
- Avoiding all sunlight by covering up the affected areas of skin until fully healed.